My Work

www.amazon.com/author/gunnjohnny

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

I'm Thankful


Thanksgiving. Traditionally celebrated at harvest time, and for the first one hundred and fifty years or so of our union, harvest was the proper time, to say thanks. Thanks for a great harvest. But times, as is so often the case, they are a-changing. What’s foremost in my mind is to be thankful for the fact that I was born an American.

We just went through an excruciatingly hideous election cycle and we came out the other end of that cycle as the Untied States of America. We didn’t come out in wild rebellion, we didn’t come out with someone declaring to be a dictator, We didn't come out under martial law. No, we came out the same as when we went into the cycle: Free and living in a democracy which elected a president by way of the law of the land.

And we learned a few things. We know there are several million Americans who are not aware of what our constitution and its amendments actually say. We know there are several million Americans who are not aware of what the word tolerance means or how a lack of tolerance affects many fellow Americans. We know we cannot depend on the Internet, the major media outlets, or truth in advertising rules to offer us the truth.

I’m thankful that I have the right to vote. More than seven billion people inhabit this old blue marble and there are more than three hundred million of us Americans who have that right. We are in the minority world-wide. I’m thankful I have the right to publish this blog. People are jailed or executed in many other places in the world for doing what I’m doing. I’m thankful that I have the right to, or not to, worship within a religion.

I’m also thankful to know that I have the right to fight to the death to defend those rights.

Now, smile, say something brilliant, and eat your turkey.

Until next time, read good books and stay regular

Johnny Gunn
Member, Western Fictioneers
Member, International Thriller Writers
Will you join me on facebook from time to time?
Or Tweet with me, darlin’?

No comments:

Post a Comment