My Work

www.amazon.com/author/gunnjohnny

Friday, December 26, 2014

A New Year? I'm Ready, Bring It On


Here we are with a brand new year in which to muck about, and I’m going to do what I can to make it one of the really good ones. A friend, Aristotle? Pavlov? Krispy Kreme? once told me, “A problem is nothing more than an opportunity to succeed.” Damn it, I’m trying.

When I finish a short story, count the words and then worry; are these the right words? What if they’re all the wrong words? How many are the right ones? And, then one editor says, nope, wrong words. And another. And then, a brilliant editor comes forward and says, yup, good words. We’ll print them for you. In the same order in which they were written.

My wife is the most wonderful creature on the ranch. She lets me get away with things even my mama wouldn’t, smiles knowingly when I’m grumpy, allows a rant or two during the evening news, and tells her family that, down deep, I’m a nice guy.

My horses and chickens and rabbits and goats don’t really care about words. That is except one: dinnertime. I sing the Kellogg’s song to the chickens every morning as I distribute the things they turn into eggs. The horses are not patient as I plod to the corral feeder with a handful of good stuff. Rabbits don’t talk, they just pull a witchy thing and twitch their noses, which tends to bring a little more food their way.

For our new year? Big bad winter to start things off and douse the drought, and pleasant growing season with which to fill the larder. A long warm summer designed for horseback adventures and fly rod excursions hopefully will be in order. And, many long weekends in the mountains with tents and cast iron cook ware.

I look forward to long quiet mornings designed for a thousand words or more, many of them being of the “right” kind. Hopefully, morning mail will be dropped on the desk of kindly editors who had a fine breakfast and good sleep the night before. The ones that like the word “yes”. The foibles of the human being are many and with each foible are thousands of stories, as many as stars in the heavens. A blanket of foibles from which to choose.

Couple all the above with good health, bucket loads of humor, and the ability to see the good in many, and we’ll be off to a fine start in 2015. All the ingredients are there except one. Peace on earth. That one is tough. And, since I have a podium from which to speak, over the coming months I will offer, along with sessions of madness, ways to improve this old world of ours.

Until next time, will you join me on facebook from time to time?
Or Tweet with me, darlin’?

As always, read good books and stay regular.

No comments:

Post a Comment